Scrollable List does not save in Common area

Technical support

Moderators: Bob Cergol, Data Access, Cintac

Scrollable List does not save in Common area

Postby scottmyers » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:34 pm

I downloaded and installed DAI Personal yesterday (July 15). I connected to the SQL Server 2005 Adventureworks DB. I am currently using it for educational purposes. I found a couple of issues when going through the motions of learning DAI:

1. Dynamic Join Builder: The table names are not displayed in their entirety. I would suggest displaying the entire table name when it is highlighted. Otherwise, I have to pull up SQL Server Management Studio to see the sequence of tables to determine the proper table to join.

2. Creating a scrollable list:
a. Changed category name
b. Changed group name
c. Name field is currently “Scrollable List Wednesday, July 16, 2008”
i. I cannot type in this field
ii. I can only delete so I deleted the capital “S” in Scrollable
iii. I still cannot type a character in the name field
iv. I deleted the word Scrollable and now I can type characters in
the field.
d. I hit the apply button and the list executed. I didn’t expect it to
execute I just wanted to save what I have entered so far.
e. The new scrollable list now appears in the “Recent” list. I receive
an error when I click on the link: Page cannot be displayed, HTTP
500.100 – Internal Server Error – ASP error Internet Information
Services. Error Type: PdAI6 (0x800A000D), Type
Mismatch, /dynamicai/dnmc.asp, line 6
f. I cannot find where I can edit the Scrollable list I just created.
g. I closed and re-opened DAI
h. I still can find where I can edit the list.
i. The only place I can see the list is in the “Recent” area. There
was no entry in the Common area.

I experienced similar issues when creating a list.

Scott
scottmyers

Postby admin » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:29 pm

Hi Scott,

I think the main problems you had has to do with the way we use apply to mean execute without saving. It is meant for adhoc changes to existing reports.
The unsaved report exists only in the single user session and is sensitive to things like changes in connection or the underlying dynamic or sql view. I sugges that you save report and you'll avoid most of your problems. -I can't reproduce the error you got, but if you can give me the steps involved, I'd be most happy to try.

Thanks for using Dynamic and thanks for reporting your experience.

Bo Andersen
admin
Certified Dynamic AI Professional

Update

Postby scottmyers » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:08 pm

Hi Bo,

I created a new scrollable list and hit save instead of apply and it created the list in the common area. It will also launch from the "recent" area.

I then created another scrollable list and hit the apply button. The list executed successfully. The list, as you stated, didn't create and entry in the common area. I did however create an line in the "recent" area. That link will fail when pressing it.

Scott
scottmyers

Postby Carsten Sørensen » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:48 am

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your comments!

We had a second look at the ”apply” behavior in relation to the recent list. As you point out – the recent list will not display a newly created / manipulated listing that hasn’t been saved. The reason is (to save memory resources) that a listing that is ad-hoc or “apply-manipulated” is only available as long as you are having that list active in the main presentation frame of Dynamic AI. The recent list therefore has no access to the manipulated version. I can’t get it to create an error though – but agree that it will just show the original un-manipulated listing. The recent list shows “Browse + tablename” in my example which I believe is the “best” we can do if we keep the rule of not saving or keeping the list in memory. We could avoid putting manipulated listings that are not saved - in the recent list, however having a quick access to the tables that you have been browsing may in many cases be useful, i.e. when browsing huge databases with many tables. I therefore believe that the current functionality is ok.

Best regards,
Carsten
Carsten Sørensen
Certified Dynamic AI Professional

Return to Technical Support