Page

Technical support

Moderators: Bob Cergol, Data Access, Cintac

Page

Postby WStansbury » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:21 pm

I am trying to create a page. I have added several reports but when I add one type of report it always goes to the top left of the page and I cannot move it. Please see attached.
Attachments
DAIpage.docx
Day Page
(296.64 KiB) Downloaded 1635 times
WStansbury

Re: Page

Postby Carsten Sørensen » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:55 pm

Seens to be the > in the report name.

you can try with > instead of the >

have you considered using a package instead?

best regards
Carsten
Carsten Sørensen
Certified Dynamic AI Professional

Postby WStansbury » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:17 pm

Thank you for you fast reply!

The information you provided corrected the problem.

I use a Page vs a Package(Dashboard) because I like to break up the reports into blocks and give the blocks of reports a title to help the manager organize their metrics. I know I can change the order in a Package but I do not like the Package because I have no control on specific locations for reports. Also, the filter for the first report controls all the other reports in a Package. This causes confusion for the managers. Therefore, I create the Page for them so they can go into each report and drill down for more detail. I am always interested in building better ways to present reports to our managers so I would appreciate any insights you may have or documents/sites you could point me to. BTW, we are getting great reviews from our managers as they begin to use these DAI tools.

Thanks again for your help.
Regards,
Wayne
WStansbury

Postby Carsten Sørensen » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:33 pm

Hi Wayne,

I appreciate the feedback on page vs packages.

I agree on the filter behavior - which is one of the package features - however IMO the "wrap" (start on new "line") option helps me control the layout - at least to a certain degree. In general we are working on dashboard improvements and we can use all feedback you can provide!

Thanks!

Best regards,
Carsten
Carsten Sørensen

Postby Bob Cergol » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:47 pm

Hi Wayne,

Yes, no one can beat Carsten for instantly spotting the problem! He's lucky he did, so I didn't have to ask him before being the one to answer you! :mrgreen: (Just kidding, I hardly ever pester him or anyone at Cintac!)

You should also be careful about using any delimiter characters in your captions and formulas, especially formulas. I have encountered where using a ")" will trip up the SQL. for example: "A) Description" has caused me a problem, where "(A) Description" will work fine.

Also I'm pretty sure if you set the filter scope to none on the reports in the package that they will no longer automatically sync.

Regards,
Bob
Bob Cergol

Postby Carsten Sørensen » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:58 pm

sorry Bob - but filter scope has no - intended - impact on the package filter inheritance. The only valid way is to remove the filters from reports where the filters should not apply in the package.

Best regards,
Carsten
Carsten Sørensen

Postby Carsten Sørensen » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:00 pm

Regarding ) and special chars in report titles - they only have limitations when being part of drill-down criterias. I think your scenario was a log report on reports...

best regards,
Carsten
Carsten Sørensen

Postby Bob Cergol » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:44 pm

I was going from memory...so I retested, and of course you are right.
But I swear years ago at my former employer filters would not work across the reports and changing the filter scope fixed the problem. Maybe it was a case where I needed "global" because the data sources were different but included same table.column. I just can't remember anymore. So many details .... ' -)

The issue I had with the unbalanced delimiter in data was this:

Create a +column called "Rep Grouper" with this formula:
cast(jcreps_idno as varchar) +') ' + rtrim(LastName)

Use as a grouper. Report runs fine. Drill down on the grouper generates this SQL error:

SQL Validation
) not following an open (,

Solution is to use a different character, or make them balanced:
'(' + cast(jcreps_idno as varchar) +') ' + rtrim(LastName)
or
cast(jcreps_idno as varchar) +': ' + rtrim(LastName)

Bob
Bob Cergol

Return to Technical Support