Emailing report loses filters when opened in a browser

Technical support

Moderators: Bob Cergol, Data Access, Cintac

Emailing report loses filters when opened in a browser

Postby cavillafuerte » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:30 pm

I have a report which uses a HC. When I email the report, the HC doesn't show up but I have found a post here on why so that is fine. The problem I am running into is that if I email the report with a filter(s) set on it, the report shows up just fine in the email but if the user clicks on the report name in the email to view it in a browser the report filters are reset. So instead of seeing the report I just emailed with the filters set, it is displaying the default view of the report.
cavillafuerte

Re: Emailing report loses filters when opened in a browser

Postby admin » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:00 pm

Thanks for letting us know - We will consider how to address it.

Best regards

Bo
admin
Certified Dynamic AI Professional

Postby cavillafuerte » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:08 pm

Thanks Bo.
Adding to this as well, when I click on the report title to view it in a browser, the HC does not show up in the browser either.
cavillafuerte

Postby Bob Cergol » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:19 pm

I'm not sure it is cut-and-dry that the "correct" behavior is that clicking on the report title itself should mean that the filters used to send the emailed report should be retained.

By the way, the same behavior occurs when opening a report contained in a report package "alone", i.e. if you apply a filter across the entire package of reports -- opening any one of them alone, runs the report without that filter -- just the same as if the report was selected from the report menu.

If the user clicked on any of the grand totals in the filtered report -- then the result would be to get the report with the filters from the eamiled instance of the report remain in effect.

I would argue having the option to open the report "alone" -- fully, without retaining the filters -- is desirable -- otherwise enforced filters at the user profile level may be in order.

Selecting to open a report "by name" is not the same as accessing the filtered report instance by drill-down on the contrained result set, i.e. the totals.

Okay -- so now give us our cake and let us eat it too! Maybe a global setting -- or a report specific setting -- or a new filter scope setting ....

Bob
Bob Cergol
Certified Dynamic AI Professional

Return to Technical Support