MS SQL Retrieving Data .. for ever

Technical support

Moderators: Bob Cergol, Data Access, Cintac

MS SQL Retrieving Data .. for ever

Postby robinsonky » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:52 pm

There's a thread about this in relation to 'Impax' or something similar. I tried the suggestions there first.

Created a database connection to a MSSQL server on local network. Connection test works ok.
Try and expand the list of tables and it never comes back.
From the earlier thread tried to make a Dynamic SQL view.

Got the response
[Microsoft][ODBC driver Manager] Data Source Name not found and no default driver specified.
Please check that the Database server is running and that Dynamic AI have sufficient access rights to access it.
(200604) Establishing Connection to: SMSdb01

I'm using the 'sa' login. What am I missing? apart from :idea:
robinsonky

Re: MS SQL Retrieving Data .. for ever

Postby admin » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:07 pm

Your error message suggests that you're using odbc to connect through. While that should work, we recommend that you use the native Microsoft SQL server connection type.

go to your connection definition and pick the sql server connection type (enter server name or ip address in the server field as well as database name) Using the SA login should work well.

Best regards

Bo
admin
Certified Dynamic AI Professional

Postby robinsonky » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:31 pm

Thanks for the speedy reply.
In fact I was using MSSQL as the connection type. NO idea what else happened but I shut everything down and started again and it identifies all the table now. Software eh?
robinsonky

Postby admin » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:53 pm

Yeah, weird. But I'm glad to hear it works for you now.

Best regards
Bo
admin

Postby Bob Cergol » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:58 pm

FWIW, I encountered exactly the same errors several weeks ago accessing an MS-SQL database (using native driver) over a WAN that was experiencing problems. In other words the server hosting Dynamic AI and the server hosting the SQL database were separated by a wide-area network link -- in fact it was a wireless link -- albeit supposedly a very high-bandwidth one. I haven't seen the problem since.

Maybe rebooting your systems forced some network connections to reset -- or maybe they just went away by pure coincidence! (I have no idea how the actual low-level plumbing all works!.)

Regards,
Bob
Bob Cergol

Return to Technical Support