Free search field

Technical support

Moderators: Bob Cergol, Data Access, Cintac

Free search field

Postby jollt » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:27 am

Hello,

I have several questions concerning the free search field :
1/ how can the default free search field can be hidden/shown
2/ the free search fields are case sensitive. Is it possible to desactivate this as the result is false if I do not write the text exactly the way it exists?
3/ On the default free search field, it's possible to specify to data we want to search in. The problem is that the technical name is show and not the captions. Is it possible to change that?
4/ Is it possible to specify for the default free search field only the columns we want (actually some of the columns are shown but I do not understand which one) ?

Thanks,

regards,

Jerome
jollt

Re: Free search field

Postby admin » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:29 am

Hi Jéromê,

I hope I can answer all your questions - if you have more questions, let me know.

1/ how can the default free search field can be hidden/shown

This one is easy - on the options tab, set the checkbox

2/ the free search fields are case sensitive. Is it possible to desactivate this as the result is false if I do not write the text exactly the way it exists?

The free search field is not case sensitive by default - only if your database specifies a case sensitive collation.

3/ On the default free search field, it's possible to specify to data we want to search in. The problem is that the technical name is show and not the captions. Is it possible to change that?

If you set the caption in the dictionary, that name is reflected in search

4/ Is it possible to specify for the default free search field only the columns we want (actually some of the columns are shown but I do not understand which one) ?

Yes - by default, just character fields are enabled for free search - you can change that on the conditions tab:

Best regards

Bo
admin
Certified Dynamic AI Professional

Postby jollt » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:31 pm

Thanks a lot Bo.
1/ and 3/ are OK.
For the 2/, I suppose my oracle database is in a case sensitive mode (NLS_SORT = Binary). The ^roblem is that I cannot change this configuration.
Is there something I can do in DAI to overload this setting?

For the 3/ as the same fields are used for differents clients with different caption (for exemple Company name, Entity, Direction, Subsidiary are different name for the same data), I cannot change the dictionary the way you show.
Is there another way (as the captions are changed for a report, can we use those captions?)

Best regards,

Jérôme
jollt

Postby Bob Cergol » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:36 pm

Hi Jerome and Bo,

PMJI....

You can override the captions again in each report on the list details page.
DAI_Free_Search_Captions_1.png
DAI_Free_Search_Captions_1.png (18.23 KiB) Viewed 6461 times
DAI_Free_Search_Captions_2.png
DAI_Free_Search_Captions_2.png (7.65 KiB) Viewed 6461 times

I think Dynamic would have to be changed to apply upper-casing on search criteria to ignore a case-sensitive backend -- but I think many, or most, users would not want that. If the back end is case insensitive, then it would allow to different records with the same string: 'bob' and 'Bob' woud be different values, so you should get the one you ask for based on the search string.

Regards,
Bob
Bob Cergol
Certified Dynamic AI Professional

Return to Technical Support