Date picker issues

Technical support

Moderators: Bob Cergol, Data Access, Cintac

Date picker issues

Postby shearerg » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:58 am

Hi,

I've found a couple of issues using the date picker in a report and on dashboards. One is easy to explain, but the other has less consistent behaviour.

Easy one first!

On a 'Graph only' report using a date picker to select an @PARn@ based filter value, if the graph is too wide the date picker will be partially covered by the graph. The graph width at which this becomes a problem will depend on the report and the resultant position of the @PARn@ date field. In the example below it is the only @PARn@ field, with a graph width of 700px. Reducing the width to 500 px removes the overlap. The machine list selection is not covered by the graph when it is activated.

ScreenShot121.jpg
ScreenShot121.jpg (13.67 KiB) Viewed 7406 times

The more difficult date picker problem involves inconsistent behaviour when selecting a date which is used as a filter on a dashboard. I have constructed a couple of dashboards which are made up of four reports, all of which use a date picker to select @PAR1@ used in their underlying Dynamic SQL Views. The 2nd filter for each of the reports is a machine identifier selected from a report list. Date and machine selection work fine within the individual reports .... but date selection is inconsistent within the dashboard.

Sometimes it will appear to work consistently. Then, if another report is run prior to returning to the dashboard it will no longer function. On other occasions it just won't work at all. Basically, it either works fine ... or the date picker simply doesn't appear at all. And, once it fails to appear it continues not to appear in that instance of the dashboard. As I mentioned above ... hard to describe ... and a bit confusing as a user. End result is that the date picker can not be relied upon to appear.

Below is a dashboard with date picker working fine:
ScreenShot125.jpg
ScreenShot125.jpg (59.35 KiB) Viewed 7406 times

and then not working at all:
ScreenShot126.jpg
ScreenShot126.jpg (36.16 KiB) Viewed 7406 times

I've tried to identify any particular conditions that might be leading to the problem, but so far without success. What I can say for certain, is that when the date picker fails to appear the browser page indicates 'Error on page'.

I'm hoping someone else may be able to replicate the problem I'm seeing. Is there any way of finding out what the 'Error on page' is?

Regards,
Greg Shearer
shearerg

Re: Date picker issues

Postby shearerg » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:03 am

When I double click on the 'Error on page' warning, this is what I'm told .... which isn't that informative. Unless, of course, someone can tell me how to make use of the 'Line' and 'Char' values?

ScreenShot127.jpg
ScreenShot127.jpg (20.51 KiB) Viewed 7405 times
shearerg

Postby Carsten Sørensen » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:21 am

Hi Greg,

Thanks for reporting this!

We are working on the date picker at the moment in relation to iOS and Android - so we have a good chance to resolve the issues that you report at the same time!

First - the overlapping chart issue. I believe that is on a Chart Only and probably because you have Active X type of charts for your user. It is an issue that we can't resolve for Active X (Active X components will always be on top), which we also have with the Flash based world map. We are currently working on a non-active X based chart component + for normal non-developer users and users not using IE you shouldn't have the overlapping issue.

The second problem - inconsistent display of the date-picker on date-filter input in dashboards - we will try to re-create and fix. Is it correct understood that your date-value (if entered manual) will produce the correct dashboard results?

Best regards,
Carsten
Carsten Sørensen
Certified Dynamic AI Professional

Postby shearerg » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:04 am

Hi Carsten,

Just confirming that the dashboard reports work correctly when the date is entered manually.

Also, you're correct in regard to the ActiveX chart component, so from my point of view this won't really be a problem. Sorry I didn't think to check that myself :oops: I've mainly been using the ActiveX chart type to play around with modifying chart styles. Although I've found it has nice features such as zooming etc, standard users probably wouldn't have that requirement.

Regards,
Greg
shearerg

Postby Carsten Sørensen » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:17 am

Thanks Greg!

Also please remember that you need a combination of:

Chart Only, not a wide screen, date filter - to see the issue. With a report/chart combination (which I believe is the one we see most often) - the report is in-between and push the Active X object away from the filter section - basically eliminating the issue. So for most users the active x component conflict wouldn't apply and they could keep animations, zoom etc. assuming they are on IE.

Best regards,
Carsten
Carsten Sørensen

Postby Carsten Sørensen » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:55 am

Hi Greg,

We have been able to reproduce the issue with the calendar pop-up on dashboards with multiple reports running on @PAR... Dynamic AI Views.

We will provide a fix in the upcoming version 6.4.23

Best regards,
Carsten
Carsten Sørensen

Return to Technical Support