Graph bar/point limitations

Technical support

Moderators: Bob Cergol, Data Access, Cintac

Graph bar/point limitations

Postby shearerg » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:50 am

Hi,

In my application of DAI, one primary use of graphs is for the presentation of machine run time data. Generally this data is collected from machines at 1 minute intervals. One limitation I've found from early on is the limitation of 999 bars or points within a graph. This is a limitation when considering displays such as run time as, for example, this allows for less than a single days representation of 1440 1 minute values.

As an example, in a work-around for daily run charts, I've resorted to using 'mod' functions to display only every 2nd value, but this approach is not really ideal. I realise this is probably not a typical application of DAI graphing features, but trying to overcome the graph content limit is one area which I think warrants some consideration.

So, I'm wondering if there is any means of increasing the default limitation of 999 data points for a graph, realising, of course, that setting of sensible limits still needs to be maintained.

Regards,
Greg Shearer
shearerg

Re: Graph bar/point limitations

Postby Carsten Sørensen » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:10 am

Hi Greg,

We are currently expanding our use of a new chart component and we are working very much on the date/time dimension. I believe we eventually will be able to address the 999 bar limitation.

Best regards,
Carsten
Carsten Sørensen
Certified Dynamic AI Professional

Postby Carsten Sørensen » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:04 pm

Hi Greg,

another point to add in regards to 999 bars limitation... how wide/big do you plan that the chart should be on screen? if < 999 pixel wide then I assume it will not make any difference..

A better solution is probably to make intervals of e.g. 10 seconds and make a max for each interval.

Best regards,
Carsten
Carsten Sørensen

Postby Carsten Sørensen » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:25 pm

Hi Greg,

We have changed the 3 digit maximum input length limitation to 5 instead - and you can now do up to 99,999 points in the charts. Will be in the next update.

Best regards,
Carsten
Carsten Sørensen

Postby shearerg » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:43 am

Hi Carsten,

Well, that will certainly allow a bit more flexibility! I understand your point about screen resolution, but it can be inconvenient having to massage fairly primitive data just to get a time period of interest displayed. The screen resolution may not do the data set justice, but at least no special data processing is required if a larger data set is allowed.

Rest assured .... I promise I won't try to use anything like 99,999 points!

Regards,
Greg
shearerg

Return to Technical Support