Problem understanding grouping

Technical support

Moderators: Bob Cergol, Data Access, Cintac

Problem understanding grouping

Postby shearerg » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:12 am

Hi,

I think I'm missing something basic in how to construct certain types of reports.

I have data recorded for machines which includes the product, date and shift details. I'm trying to construct a simple report which presents the data in various grouped stages, but I don't need to go to the individual record level.

I want to be able to say, for instance, accumulate to the date level effectively ignoring the shift indication. Unfortunately I can't figure out how to do this. Whatever I try, the final presentation always has a row representing each individual record. This is annoying, as the differences between individual records can be relatively insignificant, and just result in a fragmented presentation.

I hope I've explained this clearly enough. Perhaps a picture will help.

ScreenShot095.jpg
ScreenShot095.jpg (38.49 KiB) Viewed 5693 times

Hopefully you can tell me where I'm going wrong. But I will keep trying ...
shearerg

Re: Problem understanding grouping

Postby Carsten Sørensen » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:19 am

Hi Greg,
I'm not sure I 100% understand the issue - but you can do 2 things:

1. Move details to "Own level" to avoid having the detailed records with your grouped aggregations (either through the drop down menu's, on the Group Tab in Ad-hoc or on the Group Tab in Design).
- or -
2. Not have details at all - by only having groups and totals and no columns selected for detail presentation

Sorry if I misunderstand!

Best regards
Carsten
Carsten Sørensen
Certified Dynamic AI Professional

Postby shearerg » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:46 am

Hi Carsten,

Suggestion 2 was what I was missing. I was getting a little confused, and hadn't considered the effect of having no details. The result is what I had in mind.

I expect you can tell I'm having another push on testing out DAI. I have a meeting tomorrow in which I want to show some examples of what DAI can do. Unfortunately, I'm still not all that proficient ... but I think I'll manage!

Thanks again,
Greg
shearerg

Postby Carsten Sørensen » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:17 pm

Hi Greg,

Good luck with the meeting!

Best regards,
Carsten
Carsten Sørensen
Certified Dynamic AI Professional

Return to Technical Support