Technical support

Moderators: Bob Cergol, Data Access, Cintac

handling larger table

Postby jldum » Thu May 27, 2010 2:05 pm

Hi there,

trying to slice and dice on a table of 145 Mb, 700 000 rows, 21 columns

2 problems
1. when the drill to form is ENabled , only a limited set of rows is returned

2. when the drill to form is DISabled , totals is OK, but I do not see all aggregated rows
see .doc attached

Where can I find the doc to master this ?
thanks
regards

JL D
Attachments
DAI_test01.doc
(203 KiB) Downloaded 517 times
jldum

Re: handling larger table

Postby Carsten Sørensen » Thu May 27, 2010 7:45 pm

Hi JLD,

700k rows and 21 columns shouldn't be a problem at all - we have tons of those also bigger all over.

Drill to Form should have nothing to do with this.

Can you "prove" that your data includes data in other than the 3 months shown? You'r list shows n = 699,142 as you have stated so I can't really see where the problem is?

You have 100.000+ records underneath each group therefore the maximum number of records per page is kicking in (as we assume that you don't really want 100.000 records of details.).

I think the problem is in the Year/Month -can you try grouping in 2 individual group columns instead of the concatenated version?

Best regards
Carsten
Carsten Sørensen
Certified Dynamic AI Professional

Postby jldum » Mon May 31, 2010 4:18 pm

Hi Carsten,

right,
I am using the 'group caption' feature and was expecting the report to show me a
list of 36 rows with a Jaar-maand total at each level
Actually what I got was any concatenated caption jaar+maand with the jaar total on the row.

Probably have to make a calculated field to be used in the SQL ...

regards

JL D
jldum

Postby admin » Mon May 31, 2010 4:35 pm

Hi JL,

The group caption feature you're referring to, is meant to merge 2 fields on the grouping level. It expects that there is a 1-1 relationship between the fields.

It is usually used when a table has column pairs such as Product ID / Product Name - Account number / Account Name - fields where all records with a particular value in one of the pairs fields, also has the very same value in the other pair fields. This way, we can group on productID and productName and show them on the same group level.

If you have a date field in your data, you can group on that, and then pick a date format such as YYYY-MM that would render a date like 2010-05-30 as "2010-05", and give you 36 distinct values (=groups) for a 3 year period.

Best regards

Bo
admin
Certified Dynamic AI Professional

Return to Technical Support