Cross Report Calculations ???

Technical support

Moderators: Bob Cergol, Data Access, Cintac

Cross Report Calculations ???

Postby Bob Cergol » Mon May 24, 2010 7:07 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have a question about using cross report calculations. I've read the documentation regarding this which states:
Key-figures can be referenced across reports using the syntax:
[[//keyfigurename@DAI:report_right_Id//]]
Example:
To retrieve the current result of the key-figure “Total contribution ratio” on report 1234:
[[//Total contribution ratio@DAI:1234//]]

Is the following interpretation and understanding of what I can do with this correct?

Report "Job Change Order Total" totals the price for all change orders selected for a single job number according to the supplied filter value. A key figure named 'Total Change Orders' is defined in this report based on the column total for [[Price_Est]].
Change_Order_Rpt.gif
Change_Order_Rpt.gif (4.73 KiB) Viewed 6251 times

Report "Job Cost Report" that also selects data based on a single job number value defines a key figure called: 'Billable Change Orders' and its formula is: [[//Total Change Orders@DAI:1846//]]

When I run the Job Cost Report it seems to display a consistent, random value for billable change orders. Consistent because its the same total no matter what job number I filter on; random because I don't know what set of records its reading to generate that number. For example running the change order report for job 215322 yields a total of 10,821.60. But the key figure in the job cost report for the same job number shows the total as $24,085.
Job_Cost_Rpt.gif
Job_Cost_Rpt.gif (18.16 KiB) Viewed 6251 times

Thinking the correct job numbe filter value was not being passed, I defined a relation between the two data sources used by these two reports on job number but that didn't make any difference.

Clearly I'm not fully understanding how cross report calculations are intended to be used or I am doing something wrong. I didn't find any mention of additional requirements in the docs.

Any help is appreciated.
Regards,
Bob
Bob Cergol
Certified Dynamic AI Professional

Re: Cross Report Calculations ???

Postby Carsten Sørensen » Mon May 24, 2010 8:44 pm

Hi Bob,

Cross report calculations are referenced and used as you describe. No filter values are parsed though. You can only use the cross-report calculations without required filters. Defaults should be read but that is the only "consistent" way we can do it currently. Maybe try to set the filter scope on the 1234 report to None.

Best regards
Carsten
Carsten Sørensen

Postby Bob Cergol » Tue May 25, 2010 1:59 am

Hi Carsten,

I had already set the filter scope to none -- as I discovered any other setting doens't play well with using the report as a drill down object.

Do you think using DAI parameters somehow in this circumstance might be a work-around?

Regards,
Bob
Bob Cergol

Postby Carsten Sørensen » Tue May 25, 2010 6:33 am

Hi Bob,

We have an undocumented feature for forwarding parameters from a "parent" report to a "child" report - using Free form ABOUT headers/footers. Lets investigate whether that is maybe a better way for this sort of cross-report calculations.

best regards,
Carsten
Carsten Sørensen

Postby shearerg » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:24 am

Carsten,

Can you tell me if there was any further progress on this request? Is there any chance this could also be an approach to investigate for my post? (Linking reports from different data sources)

Regards,
Greg Shearer
shearerg

Return to Technical Support