Changing views confuses existing reports

Technical support

Moderators: Bob Cergol, Data Access, Cintac

Changing views confuses existing reports

Postby Bob Cergol » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:38 pm

Hi,

I haven't done a good job documenting this, but its happened enough, and I do have a specific example to show, that I thought I would make this post.

Yesterday I was creating a report based on a dynamic view. I went through a few cycles of editing the view and editing the report. Each time, entering the reports desing mode would give a message stating the columns have been updated / new column(s) added. However once I did that I could no longer control the sequence of the fields on the drill down form, that is, they did not appear on the form in the sequence I specified in the list. Twice I had to delete the report and start over to fix this.

Just now I was creating a drill-down to another report. I couldn't get it to work and then realized my relation between the data sources was wrong. My tables, created with Dataflex, used overlap fields for the Dataflex relationship. Since these fields don't exist in SQL, I appended a computed filed to my DAI view (thinking adding it to the end might avoid the aforementioned problem).

My drill-down from report to report now worked perfectly. But I decided I wanted to drill down to the second report from the first report's form instead. When I went to form details the form fields that exist on the form no longer appear.
Edited_View.gif
Edited_View.gif (8.67 KiB) Viewed 6519 times

Form_Fields_List.gif
Form_Fields_List.gif (18.11 KiB) Viewed 6519 times

Form_Fields_Options_Fields.gif
Form_Fields_Options_Fields.gif (11.1 KiB) Viewed 6519 times

Did I do something wrong, or miss a step?
Bob
Bob Cergol
Certified Dynamic AI Professional

Re: Changing views confuses existing reports

Postby Bob Cergol » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:43 pm

Hmmmm...navigating out of the report design mode a second time and then going back in and clicking the form details tab now displays all the fields --- so perhaps there is some minor browser caching issue going on here. Never mind ....
Bob
Bob Cergol

Postby Carsten Sørensen » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:54 pm

Hi Bob,

Thanks for reporting this. We have recently made a correction (for the next release) to the handling of original ordinal positions that could have impact on the issue that you are experiencing. I believe however that it was related to presenting the conditions page - so we will have to recheck and try reproducing. Will do.

Best regards,
Carsten
Carsten Sørensen

Postby Bob Cergol » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:32 pm

Carsten,

FWIW, here's an example of the form sequence issue.
I had a plus column "book_value" that I decided I wanted to hide based on role A. There fore I removed it from the report and added it to the DAI view as a calculated column and set role A on it. I also set its 2 constituent fields (Est_Price and Quoted_Price) to role A.

It shows up in the available fields list for the list but not for the form. So instead I added both Est_Price and Quoted_Price fields to the form, but cannot control where they appear in the sequence.
DocPartFormFields.gif
DocPartFormFields.gif (15.7 KiB) Viewed 6513 times

Bob
Bob Cergol

Postby Carsten Sørensen » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:54 pm

Hi Bob,

For the time being calculated extra columns are not included on the forms.

I can confirm the issue that you are mentioning regarding column based forms.
A work around for more control on the form is to use the Free layout and eventually combine with the option column based layout on the Form tab. It is a different type of column based form - where the columns are calculated positions that can be freely moved around afterwards.

Best regards,
Carsten
Carsten Sørensen

Return to Technical Support