Browser Stop Loading / Refresh

Technical support

Moderators: Bob Cergol, Data Access, Cintac

Browser Stop Loading / Refresh

Postby Bob Cergol » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:29 pm

I was testing a report and after some interval decided it was taking too long and worried my request was hurting the SQL server's performance for other users.

I clicked the "stop loading page" browser button as there is no "cancel" button on a report.

That appeared to work, but seems to suspend the session with DAI because when I next clicked the report "go" button after changing my filters I got this:
Stop_Loading_Page_Result.gif
Stop_Loading_Page_Result.gif (5.03 KiB) Viewed 6355 times

Clicking "okay" results in a blank display. I then figured I should click the browser's "refresh" button. and it returned me to my start page.

This happened to me twice today and the first time when I wasn't paying as close attention my session seemed to be frozen. I was not able to login to DAI in a new session. In a minute or two everything worked again. It was as if the query I'd launched on the server continued running -- or it is possible something else was going on to make the server unresponsive.

Any way, what is the proper way to "cancel" a report once it is launched?

Bob
Bob Cergol
Certified Dynamic AI Professional

Re: Browser Stop Loading / Refresh

Postby Carsten Sørensen » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:59 pm

Hi Bob,

You can't stop a report when it is launched - at least not from the interface. Dynamic AI relies on the DB executing the heavier part of the job and we don't provide a cross-db functionality to kill db-sessions.

What you can and maybe should do is to enter a Time-out value on your SQL Server connection definition in Dynamic AI. That will kill long running sessions that exceeds your limit of acceptable time.

In general it's not something that we have people reporting as an issue causing any troubles.

We have from time to time the issue brought up - and the answer will then always be DB specific. In your case the time-out value on the connection definition will do the job - on Oracle e.g. a kill session will have to be done manually.

FYI - we never experienced Dynamic AI bringing down a SQL Server! at least no-one shouted at us for that reason (actually nobody shout at us :-)

Best regards,
Carsten
Carsten Sørensen

Postby Bob Cergol » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:07 pm

Hi Carsten,

That makes sense.

I have the timeout set to no timeout -- for no other reason than when I first implemented DAW's SQL driver I was having some issues with timeouts, dropped connections, across our WAN. Not fully understanding the environment I was setting any and everything I could think of to eliminate the problems.

Since then moving to DAW's CK5 and moving all those application users to Terminal Server has eliminated my problems so I will revisit the timeout setting when I have more confidence about what we want it to be.

Thanks,
Bob
Bob Cergol

Postby Carsten Sørensen » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:21 pm

Hi Bob,

Just to make sure that I explained myself correctly.

You can set the time-out on the Dynamic AI connection definition individually for each connection you make in Dynamic AI. The time-out that you set here will be for your Dynamic AI reports running under that connection only and not have impact on other time-outs and general settings for other applications.

Best regards,
Carsten
Carsten Sørensen

Return to Technical Support