Concurrent Sessions versus Named Users

Technical support

Moderators: Bob Cergol, Data Access, Cintac

Concurrent Sessions versus Named Users

Postby Bob Cergol » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:28 pm

Now that I've set myself up as a user in addition to the administrator account, I see when I run the active sessions list it totals up the active sessions.

Bo mentioned to me that in practice a license for 5 concurrent users, depending upon usage, might support 20 - 40 named users. But I don't see where the system is closing sessions (as occurs in DAW's WebApp Server product). DAI is working like our SageCRM system works, i.e. it keeps an active session going as long as the user is logged in. But Sage has a global setting for maximum idle session duration, after which it ends the session, freeing up that seat. (It would be better if that session limit were user-specific.)

I couldn't find a session time-out parameter to limit the length of time a user can remain on the system. We can hardly get users to log off of windows and shut their systems down daily. Getting internal users, let alone external customers, to exit an application -- especially in a browser window where they are accustomed to it being a static connection (not that they understand it in those terms), is unlikely. That's going to present a real challenge in deploying a system as extensively as I'd hoped as it will drastically up the ante on concurrent users we'd need to license. We routinely have 80+ internal users logged into our systems. But 80% of the time, probably only 20% are generating i/o.

Bob
Bob Cergol
Certified Dynamic AI Professional

Re: Concurrent Sessions versus Named Users

Postby Carsten Sørensen » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:40 pm

Hi Bob,

We control the session time-out through settings in the Microsoft Internet Information Server. Typically the default is 20 minutes. Dynamic AI will ping the server and keep the session alive within the 20 minutes limit automatically during inactive - but still open sessions - in order for users not to loose ongoing but inactive customizations etc.

Users can close / logout from the session on the X in the lower right of the toolbar. You'll see that on the Server edition - not in the personal edition.

We typically see a 5-10 concurrent user installation supporting 40-50 registered users. However that of course depends on the way Dynamic AI is being used.

Dynamic AI doesn't block you from having more concurrent users logging in - we rely on having honest customers.

Best regards,
Carsten
Carsten Sørensen
Certified Dynamic AI Professional

Return to Technical Support