User Group Rights Inheritance

Technical support

Moderators: Bob Cergol, Data Access, Cintac

User Group Rights Inheritance

Postby Bob Cergol » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:38 pm

I'm exploring the user / groups setup. I would expect to define rights at the group level and then override them at the user level. Though I see a nearly equivalent way of doing that is to copy a user profiles to a new user, so perhaps the point it moot. On the other hand if one wants to change a right for all members in a group, then you have to edit each individual user.

Am I correct in interpreting that an alias parameter is intended to be defined at the system level and then the specific value for that matching numbered alias is set at the user level.

Example: System Alias 1 = Account ID
User Spen D. Slotsofmoney from a big account has his alias1 value set to that accounts ID as it would occur in orders, invoices, etc. for that account.

In other words you shouldn't expect to use Alias1 for different purposes as the definition of its meaning is global ? (Now I'm thinking no, any given report would simply use that alias value -- and it may or may not make sense depending on the combination of report and user.)

Bob
Bob Cergol
Certified Dynamic AI Professional

Re: User Group Rights Inheritance

Postby Carsten Sørensen » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:13 pm

Hi Bob,

Your understanding of the alias use is correct. The reason we have 10 is to avoid having to use the alias1 e.g. for more than 1 purpose. We have installations up to 10000+ registered users that seems to cover their needs with 10.

You are also right about not being able to define rights at groups level. Rights are assigned on individual users. Some create dummy user accounts (or have a super-role-user) they use as the basis to create new.

In our Enterprise editions (not that I think you need that) administrators have full access to the underlying repository database (in MS SQL or Oracle) and can also choose to modify user-rights, dictionary inheritance, modify columns across hundreds of reports etc. using standard SQL on top of the full definitions of Dynamic AI.

You are right about the limitation - however in real-world examples - with many many users where it might be really time consuming to maintain - there is eventually the Enterprise solution to go for.

Best regards,
Carsten
Carsten Sørensen

Re: User Group Rights Inheritance

Postby Bob Cergol » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:33 pm

Thanks Carsten,

It shouldn't be an issue for us. Copying profiles is more than adequate and rights are not something that often change once established.

Ten alias values should be more than enough for our needs.

Bob
Bob Cergol

Return to Technical Support