Fakepath entering location for file-based data sources in IE

Technical support

Moderators: Bob Cergol, Data Access, Cintac

Fakepath entering location for file-based data sources in IE

Postby admin » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:36 pm

We've gotten a support case and I wanted to share the problem, it's cause and resolution with you:

I have downloaded Dynamic AI for non commercial Personal use on a Stand alone computer

I have tried to connect to both excel and access.

On the browing window the documents path appears to be at c:\fakepath\ document with .xls or mdb.extension

When I test the connection an error message show up reads 'could not find … path and document.

Cause:
What's happening is that Internet Explorer replaces the actual physical path to the file with "fakepath". This is a security measure Microsoft has implemented in IE8 because the "browse for file" functionality is usually used for uploading files, and in those cases it's not really relevant to the web server at the other end what the actual physical path of the file was.

Resolution
Your options are to enable "Intranet Settings" in Internet Explorer, which will allow Internet Explorer to display the actual path

or you can manually type the correct file path in the location box in Dynamic AI.

Dynamic AI needs to connect to the physical file and no upload occurs - we've just used the "browse for file" functionality as a convenient way to locate the file.
admin
Certified Dynamic AI Professional

Return to Technical Support