retrieving data on paradox database

Technical support

Moderators: Bob Cergol, Data Access, Cintac

retrieving data on paradox database

Postby tonymick » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:00 pm

I have installed the personal edition on a vista pc.
Then i created an ODBC connection to my Paradox *.db database.
The test connection was succesful and i can retrieve data with sql instruction from the single tables but, as i try to explore database from AI it says: "retrieving data..." and nothing happen.
Any suggestion?
Thanks in advance
tonymick

Postby Carsten Sørensen » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:46 pm

Hi,
When exploring a connected database - Dynamic AI is using open-schema commands. In the past we have experienced that some file based databases are not supporting this method - then we usually do the work around that you've been doing - to create a Dynamic AI SQL View pointing to the database object.

That method however is only usable (apart from annoying) if you can build reports afterwards on the defined SQL View. You might be able to preview data from the Dynamic AI SQL View builder - however when the SQL view is afterwards used as a data source in Dynamic AI - it must support being used as a sub-select. I.e. Dynamic AI reports will select columns around the view definition that you create like:

Select a, b, c from ( select * from mytable) XX

It might depend on the version of the database / the ODBC driver - which version of Paradox are you working with and which ODBC driver?

Another reason could be that the user account (IUSR_machinename if you have installed using IIS) is not having sufficient user rights to the folder/directory where the .DB files (.DBI and .DBF?'s as well?) files used by the database engine are stored.
Carsten Sørensen
Certified Dynamic AI Professional

Postby tonymick » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:36 pm

Paradox version is 4.0
ODBC driver is 6.00.6001.18000
tonymick

Postby Carsten Sørensen » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:56 am

Can you test whether it would work to use a Dynamic AI SQL View for report creation (like described in my previous reply)?

The reason I ask you to test this, is that if it is possible to build reports that way - then we at least have a restricted/specific limitation or bug to look for - i.e. explore DB objects in Paradox using open schema.

Dynamic AI connects to databases using Microsoft ADO and according to the information we can find - there are some compatibility issues with Paradox. Please excuse me if it sounds like blaming MS ADO - that's not my intention - just sharing the facts with you.

Sorry for not providing you with much solution but we have difficulties to find a sample installation/.db file of Paradox 4.0 to recreate your problem.

If you have a ressource where we can find a sample - please let me know!
Carsten Sørensen
Certified Dynamic AI Professional

Return to Technical Support