Start page and select list

General discussions

Moderators: Bob Cergol, Data Access, Cintac

Start page and select list

Postby cavillafuerte » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:36 pm

1. One of the options I see on the General tab for system global settings is able to set the default page when no Start page has been specified for a user. I have tried to set the start page to our company webpage but it is not working. I have set the company homepage as the default page under system settings and for the user, I have set it to No Today Page but when the user logs in it does not show the homepage. How can I get it to work?

2. I have a report that uses a Select filter which is populated with the name of students. When I go to select a student from the list, I see a warning stating that the list exceeds 500 options and therefore does not show all the students. Where do I change the option to show all records and not just the first 500?
cavillafuerte

Re: Start page and select list

Postby Bob Cergol » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:18 pm

Hi Carlos,

I can confirm the global default page when none is set in the user profile is not working. I want to remember having used it in the past and it worked but I can't swear to it. Cintac will need to confirm and advise. However a workaround would be to create a new report of type "Page", add the URL you want to the page and then use that as the default report in the user's profile. I assume what you want is to send the user to your organziation's home web page.

Regarding combo-form filters, I think the 500 limit is hard coded -- but I also want to remember you could get around it by making your own list report and pointing the filter toward using it on the list options for filters -- and then in that "selection" list report setting the maximum rows per page to a higher number. I know I found a way to do this once, a long time ago, but abandoned it since such a long list seemed impractical and not very user friendly -- not to mention the behavior in the filter drop down lists are not searchable and the user has to scroll, and scroll ...

Regards,
Bob
Bob Cergol
Certified Dynamic AI Professional

Postby Bob Cergol » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:23 pm

P.S. -- You could of course create a separate report of this really long -- over 500 rows -- listing with its own filter criteria and then make the drill down-object fot that list the other report -- however you wouldn't be able to multi-select as you can with a drop-down filter.

For example a lot of reports I made allow searching on Customer ID. There were over 20,000 customers. I could present the user with a customer name report that was searchable by rep ID, City, etc. Then when the user clicked on a customer it could run an orders report for that specific customer. Obviously a comboform can't work for 30,000 customers!

Bob
Bob Cergol

Postby cavillafuerte » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:49 pm

Thanks Bob.
I did create a workaround with the start page. I created a Link page that goes to the page we want to use as a start page. As for the list, I will try the workaround you are suggesting and let you know how that works. Thanks again.
cavillafuerte

Postby cavillafuerte » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:31 pm

Hi Bob.
I have created a list with all the names of the students. Under the list options tab for the report I want to apply the filter I have chosen this list for the Select and Compare options. When I run the report, the select list now shows all the students and not just the first 500 which is great however, when I choose a student from the list, it doesn't apply that filter to the report. What else could I be doing wrong?
cavillafuerte

Postby Bob Cergol » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:20 pm

Hi Carlos,

I'm not sure I'm clear on what you've done, but on the list tab options page the filter box I think you are referring to is only for helping to find the target list you want to use as the list for the comboform.
FilterBox_FilterOptions_Based_On.png
FilterBox_FilterOptions_Based_On.png (26.92 KiB) Viewed 34276 times

I think I was suggesting you could use an enforced filter on the list report being used for the comboform filter.

Could you post a screen shot showing what is not working as expected?

Bob
Bob Cergol

Postby cavillafuerte » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:50 pm

I have attached a screenshot.
I created a list which shows all students. I selected this list to populate the Select list filter box
SelectListScreenShot.png
SelectListScreenShot.png (28.61 KiB) Viewed 34276 times

and this works just fine as you can see and doesn't limit my list to 500.
Report.png
Report.png (61.1 KiB) Viewed 34276 times

but when I select a student from the list and click on go, it doesn't filter for the student selected.
cavillafuerte

Postby Bob Cergol » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:14 pm

Is the column from your filter list that you have set as the Value defined the same, and containing matching values to, the column used by the filter in your report?
Filter_List_Valued_vs_Display_setting.png
Filter_List_Valued_vs_Display_setting.png (10.51 KiB) Viewed 34273 times

Bob
Bob Cergol

Postby cavillafuerte » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:04 pm

yes they are.
cavillafuerte

Postby cavillafuerte » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:29 pm

I got it to work. I had to add an extra column to both the list and the report (studentnumber) set that to the value and it now works.
cavillafuerte

Return to General discussions